Sunday 11 November 2012

Reflections 12 Months Off Steroid Creams

I suppose I have been thinking about this post for ages. I have had a whole year to think about this post.

"What am I going to write for my special anniversary post?...."

I am actually going to write a series of posts over the next few days, touching on various aspects of topical steroid withdrawal and how 12 months can completely change ones perception of things.

I cast my mind back in time......

I had been using steroid creams on and off since a very young age, but had always been "sensible" using them and had not used them long enough to get addicted during my childhood and adolescence.

This changed in my early 20's when, due to use of cosmetics, I started getting the odd patch of eczema on my face.

As someone who loved using makeup, I was horrified and attacked this "invader" with steroid creams. Of course, the eczema came back because I carried on using cosmetics, which created a cycle of eczema and steroid treatment. Before I knew it, I was blobbing a little bit of steroid on my face every day to keep my skin looking nice.

Over the next few months and years, the "eczema" spread and got worse, although I did note that this fine, red "eczema" rash didn't look anything like the rough eczema I had as child, which had always been limited to the backs of my legs and crooks of my arms.

My low point was when I got pregnant with my first child. By then, I had been addicted to steroid creams for three years and used them every day. My "eczema" got a lot worse during my pregnancy and I was in great physical distress as my whole body was covered. My dermatologist suggested that I cover my body in Eumovate ointment, covered in wet wrap bandages to aid the absorption of steroid. Of course, the effect was amazing. My skin cleared and was normal for a week or so, but the rash soon came back. Of course, I had no idea that this was steroid addiction and that I was "feeding it". I recall begging my doctor for more steroid cream when he decided to stop my prescriptions! I feel terrible that I used steroid cream every day of my pregnancy and shudder when I recall that I even used it on my nipple eczema when breastfeeding my son. Thankfully, my son is OK and had no adverse effects from my "pushing drugs" on him as a foetus.

Time passed and I started to rely on stronger creams to get an effect. Hydrocortisone did not work, Eumovate sometimes worked, but a lot of the time, I used the big guns like Elocon and Betnovate.

One day I was reading a book with my little boy. It had a mirror on the last page. When I looked in the mirror, it hit me how red my face was compared to his. I was shocked and after that, I hated looking in a mirror. By this point I was 5 years into steroid addiction and my skin had taken on a permanent red tinge, which was odd because I had always been pale during childhood.

Years passed. I had 2 more children and carried on using steroid creams. Prescriptions were usually issued without question, although occasionally, my doctor would ask to see me. I would show him my skin and he gladly signed for more steroid cream. One doctor told me to stop using the cream and that it should only be used for 5 days, but of course, when i tried this, the "rebound started". I presumed that the rebound was my eczema coming back, so started back on the creams.

My husband had been prescribed a cream called Fucibet (mixture of steroid and antibiotic) for his hands, which were cracked and sore. One day, when my face was particularly bad, I "borrowed" a bit of cream. I loved the way it made my face look, so I "borrowed" the rest of the tube, which had a warning not to be used on the face. I would then request repeat prescriptions on behalf of my husband, but really, I was using the cream. Still, it did not occur to me that I was addicted. It seems so obvious now.

I used the fucibet on my face for about 2 years, but noticed strange red marks appearing either side of my nose. I put more cream on, hoping that it would get rid of them (duh!).

Then the prescriptions stopped. The doctor would not prescribe Fucibet any more.

I panicked.

I freaked out. I NEEDED that cream! I was now 15 years addicted to steroid creams.

Then, I started searching the internet. I can't remember what I typed in, but I remember finding an article on Wikipedia about steroid rosacea. This was the beginning of my quest! It seemed that the red marks on my nose were caused by the cream and the good news was that if I stopped using them, I could go back to normal! Wow!

The next site I found was Kelly Palace's addicted skin site, which later became Itsan. On the site I read about a brave woman who gave up steroid creams and was now healed after a period of intense withdrawal. I also read articles by Dr Rapaport and Dr Fukaya on the subject. It seems that many people had been through steroid withdrawal and eventually healed!

Now for the bad part....

The withdrawal process was horrible! I saw pictures of people with swollen faces, oozing sticky fluid. I saw messages from people on the forum who were in agony, with swollen limbs and burning flesh. Withdrawal could take years before healing occurred. Was it worth it?

I also found some blogs from people going through withdrawal. I found Julianas blog, which was a timeline blog and saw her awful suffering revealed through photos.

Even though I had major doubts at this point, I decided to stop steroid creams.

I spoke at length with people on the forum, who were determined to hold my hand through the process. Fellow blogger Kelou was the first to welcome me and I also found a lot of comfort in the words of Joey, another skin warrior.

Within a week, my skin started to flare.....

The rest is recorded on this blog.

This last 12 months has completely changed my opinion of topical steroids and eczema. I believe that eczema is predominantly a childhood disease and in most cases, is quite mild, restricted to the backs of legs and crooks of arms.(Of course, there are exceptions to this). I also believe that most cases of eczema are grown out of by the early 20's although, in my case I brought about dermatitis by using cosmetics.

Many years ago, before steroid creams, there were very few cases of adults with eczema. I believe that many adults with eczema do not have eczema at all, but are addicted to steroid creams.

I also believe that adults with dermatitis would be better trying to find out the trigger (detergents, pets, cosmetics), rather than masking the problem with steroid creams.

When doctors prescribe steroids for babies, it worries me. I don't think that the doctors know the long term effects of steroid creams and it can become a habit to fill in repeat prescriptions. I wish all doctors could read my blog and see what topical steroids have done to me, so that they would have a better idea how to prescribe safely and give parents balanced advice about how to use the creams.

I don't blame anyone for the situation I am in. I don't think that anyone has really looked into the long term effects of steroid creams, as they are not intended to be used for more than one week. I just hope that the medical establishment and pharmaceutical companies wake up to the long term dangers of steroid creams, as I can only see the problem of steroid addiction getting worse over time.

Sorry to go on for so long...I'm in a bit of a waffling mood today!

1 comment:

Wynter said...

I really hope your skin goes well during winter this year :) it will be an interesting test to see how strong it has become!
It annoys me that derms are so quick to shoot down the possibility of TSA... Withdrawals will be so much easier when it becomes a more well known issue.. It pisses me off!!
I hope it doesn't look like I'm spamming... I need something to do while there is an ice pack on my face xD